I take a decent amount of cabs in the city, and have encountered a whole host of characters as taxi drivers. Some of them have been perfectly nice. They’re polite and chatty. One even asked me for advice about his wayward teenage daughter, and I like to think I advised him well. For all the good taxi drivers, though, there is an equal number of questionable ones. It is to these drivers I dedicate this post.
1) Yes, please honk at me while you pull to a stop. That was completely necessary. God forbid that you just pull to a stop. My woman brain might not be able to process what that means.
2) I don’t understand why taxi drivers think it’s okay to pass other cars by going into oncoming traffic. This is not cool, guys. Seriously. I like being alive, and every time you pull into oncoming traffic I feel like that being alive thing is going to end. Also, I’m pretty sure that’s illegal.
3) Why do most taxi drivers have ALL their windows open during the summer?? Do they not realize that my hair does not respond well to wind?
4) My favorite thing is when a taxi driver gets lost driving me somewhere and starts asking me for directions. First off, I have no idea. I don’t understand streets, which is why I’m paying for an overpriced ride. Second, shouldn’t the taxi driver know this? I do have to note, however, that this particular taxi driver who got lost did stop the meter when he realized he didn’t know where he was. So, props to you taxi driver.
5) I know that it must be really boring for taxi drivers, but I hate how most of them talk on the phone while they drive around customers. It’s not the fact that they’re on the phone. That doesn’t bother me. What I don’t like is that most of them aren’t speaking English, so I can’t tell what they’re talking about. Too many viewings of Criminal Minds has me moderately concerned in each taxi ride that I’m going to be kidnapped and sold into human trafficking. The odds of that are probably fairly slim, but still. It could happen.
6) Speaking of kidnapping and human trafficking, creepy cab drivers are the worst. I was in a cab once where the driver peered at me in the rearview mirror and said, “Do you remember me? You’ve been in my cab before.” I was never so happy to get out of a car.
What’s peeving you off today?